This bibliography lists the standard general preservation resources published within the last 15 years. While not specific to music, they provide solid information of the basics of preservation and can answer many questions to those who are new to the field. The list also includes websites of professional organizations that focus on the management of similar collections. Resources for specific preservation concerns can be found in the corresponding specific sections of our website.
Baird, Brian D. Preservation Strategies for Small Academic and Public Libraries.
Banks, Paul and Roberta Pilette. Preservation: Issues and Planning.
Council on Library and Information Resources. The Evidence in Hand:
Feather, John, ed. Managing Preservation in Libraries and Archives.
International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA). Safeguarding
Matz, Judith. Sound Savings: Preserving Audio Collections. Presented papers and
McIlwaine, John. First, do no harm - A Register of Standards, Codes of Practice,
Ogden, Sherelyn. Preservation of library and archival materials: A manual.
Reed-Scott, Jutta. Preserving Research Collections: A Collaboration Between
Ritzenthaler, Mary Lynn. Preserving Archives and Manuscripts. Chicago: Society
Sitts, Maxine K., ed. Handbook for Digital Projects: A Management Tool for
While most of the websites for preservation are directly associated with an organization or institution, these two sites are standouts on their own:
Conservation OnLine: Resources for Conservation Professionals
The COOL website, hosted by the Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (FAIC), is a fantastic clearinghouse of all things related to preservation. A large percentage of the resources cited are there as full-text. An essential resource for both novices and experts.
Audio Preservation and Restoration
Created by John R. Gibbs, librarian at the Music Library and Listening Center at the University of Washington. Although mainly consisting of a collection of links, this site is a well-organized and exhaustive list of the professional resources relating to audio restoration and preservation.
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
- American Library Association
- Association of Moving Image Archivists
- Association of Research Libraries
- Association for Recorded Sound Collections
- Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts
- Council on Library and Information Resources
- Independent Media Arts Preservation (IMAP)
- International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- National Center for Preservation Technology and Training
- Society of American Archivists
- The Getty Conservation Institute
- The Image Permanence Institute
- The Library of Congress Preservation Directorate
- The National Archives and Records Administration Preservation Programs
List originally compiled by Adriana P. Cuervo- General Preservation Resources.
Last updated: August 26, 2014, at 03:01 PM EDT